Rival’s Stick-Slip & Torsional Oscillation Reduction and Mitigation Tool aka the STORM TOOL™ is designed to mitigate drilling dysfunction in rotary steerable system (RSS) applications.
While drilling with a motor-assisted RSS, the BHA becomes self-excited as the drill bit cutting structure engages with the formation, and the motor responds to torque demands creating drilling dysfunction. Unmitigated, these cycles reduce the predictability of drilling operations and increases RSS costs.
The STORM Tool decouples the motor from the RSS & drill bit axially while its internal mechanism absorbs damaging torque oscillations within the BHA.
By interrupting torque oscillation cycles, the frequency and severity of shock & vibration events are reduced.
The STORM Tool is WOB independent, and its fixed-length maintains drill bit depth-of-cut, protecting the cutting structure and improving bit life and interval ROP.
- Tool placed directly below motor in RSS BHA
- Torque oscillations converted into axial movement of WOB independent mass
- No axial displacement of outer housing
- Dampening effect to absorb mechanical energy (shock absorption)
- Minimizes drilling dysfunction by axially decoupling the RSS from the drilling motor
- Reduction in shock & vibration mitigates damages & improves well delivery consistency
- Tool maintains bit depth-of-cut protecting cutting structure to drill faster & farther
- Compatible with all RSS tools regardless of MWD placement
|Overall Length||147 in||199 in|
|Body OD||5.125 in||7.125 in|
|Mandrel Pin OD||5.125 in||6.750 in|
|Pass Through ID||1.190 in||1.630 in|
|Stroke||Zero (no expansion)||Zero (no expansion)|
|Weight||730 lbs.||1,960 lbs.|
|Recommended Hole Sizes||6 to 6-3/4||8-1/2 to 9-7/8|
|Bottom Connection||NC-38 (3-1/2 IF Pin or XT-39 Pin)||NC-50 (4-1/2 IF) Box,
4-1/2 Reg, or 5-1/2 FH Pin
|Top Connection||NC-38 (3-1/2 IF) Box or XT-39 Box||NC-50 (4-1/2 IF) Box, 4-1/2 Reg, or 5-1/2 FH Box|
|Recommended Operating Limits|
|Max Overpull, POOH||400,000 lbs||816,000 lbs|
|Diff Pressure (8.3 ppg, 400 gpm)||110 psi||195 psi|
|Operating Torque||2,500 to 11,800 ft-lbs||5,000 to 24,000 ft-lbs|
|Maximum Torque||13,000 ft-lbs||32,000 ft-lbs|
|Flow Range||100-400 gpm||300-750 gpm|
|RPM Limits with Max Dog Leg|
|Dog Leg (°/100 ft)||Max RPM||Max RPM|
|>18||No Rotation||No Rotation|
Contact [email protected] to order now